Saturday, June 18, 2011

Westham Island Highlights...

Recently, I visited the George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary, on Westham Island. For almost two hours, I had the place to myself. There's nothing quite like walking the trails in the early morning ~ with only the beautiful sounds of a Swainson's Thrush or the happy "cheerily, cheer up, cheer up, cheerily, cheer up" song of the American Robin.

To follow are just a few photo highlights...


Adult Sandhill Crane preens while her colt rests nearby...


While the colt rests, the Canada Geese put on a show...


Among the flock of Canada Geese, was a handsome Cackling Goose...

In the tree tops, were many Cedar Waxwings..


..and in the pond, Mallards with their wee ones...




There were plenty of Goslings around too...


...and snugglin' siblings.




As I rounded the west pond, I was greeted by this beautiful female Wood Duck. A perfect ending to a perfect day, at the Migratory Bird Sanctuary.

4 comments:

  1. Kimberly, great post! I haven't been for a month now! I'm itching but the weather isn't cooperating!
    The goslings are at the time in life where they are true ugly ducklings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind comment :)

    ReplyDelete