Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Moment with the Swans...

I drove out to Westham Island, on Wednesday morning, and as I made my way across the old swing bridge, I noticed a pair of swans wading in the water below. I crossed the bridge and pulled over near the swing operator's booth, grabbed my gear and walked over mid-span.

There they were...two beautiful Mute Swans.

Oddly, while I was shooting them, a lone napping Swan floated into the frame. At first, I thought the napper was a Trumpeter [because of the bill colour], but then I realized it was a juvenile Mute, belonging to the pair.

Sadly, the majority of my Swan photos were over-exposed. Rather than discard them, I added a few effects to each [some more subtle than others]. What do YOU think?


9 comments:

  1. These are awesome Kim. I love the effects!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I was out there yesterday too!
    We must have walked past each other!
    Didn't see any swans, but I have seen them there before. Just such an awful place to find a parking space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it can be fun to play with the effects and come out with an artistic beauty like the shots you have - I love the black and white especially.

    dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to make the best of over-exposed photos. Fantastic and artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Sometimes rather than deleting flawed images, using some creative post-processing can create beautiful one-of-a-kind art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim I absolutely love these soft views. So glad you didn't disregard them. Beautiful views enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good idea with the special effect! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done Kim. Sometimes, you have to push the envelope on photography and not to worry about semantics.

    Recently, had a friend use ISO 1000 in capturing Eagle action shots. Yes, there was a lot of noise, but boy oh boy did he get some action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great idea to play with the special effects, the soft views really work. Lovely images.

    ReplyDelete