Thursday, May 6, 2010

Slim Pickins'...

Last week, Robbie and I took a photo walk around Elgin Heritage Park. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've observed many shorebirds at this location, including Black-bellied Plovers, Dunlins, Yellowlegs and Dowitchers. This time, however, it was another story...

We started off by heading right to the shoreline, via the familiar wooden bridge...



As usual, there were many Red-winged Blackbirds out in the marsh, like this beautiful female...



..and this handsome male...



Oddly, once we reached the shore, only Green-winged Teals were foraging in the mud. There were one or two Canada Geese, as well, but the Dunlins, Plovers, and other shorebirds were nowhere to be seen.

Midway down the path, I noticed a cute little critter munching away on a patch of dandelion leaves...



This Wild Rabbit sat quietly, observing us for a few minutes, before hopping away into the brush. This is actually the first rabbit I have seen in quite some time [years, actually] and this one appeared to be quite healthy.

After doing the loop along the shoreline, Robbie and I decided to head to the pond, which is situated in the center of the park. Surely there would be Dowitchers there, right?

Nope.

Near the opposite edge of the pond, was a single bird, enjoying the peaceful tranquility...just him and his reflection. He looked rather pensive...



Although the trees and shrubs were filled with a variety of songbirds, most of them proved too elusive. The American Robins were out, however...



...along with the Song Sparrows...



...and the occasional Brown-headed Cowbird...



We noted several calls we hadn't heard before but sadly failed to locate their source. Frustrating. We even heard the Yellow-rumped Warblers I had seen here before, but we just couldn't catch up to one...this time.

In spite of missing the birds we came to see, I enjoyed walking the many winding paths of the Heritage Park, with my good friend, Robbie, while listening to natures' soundtrack !
I could not think of a better way to spend my morning!



Besides, I have faith! We'll get our birds next time!

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this, Kim! Some days are like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely series of images, love that female blackbird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Brown-headed Cowbird is my favorite shot. A lot of people don't like them since they lay their eggs in other bird's nests and don't even rear their own young. But I kind of admire their evolutionary genius and its always fun to discover a nest with a couple BH Cowbird eggs in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, very nice set of close-up photos. The Dowitcher capture is especially lovely. A quiet day but it sounds like you had a lovely stroll with Robbie, surrounded by nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos as always Kimberley!

    We had a Chipping Sparrow rear a Cowbird chick last summer. The chick was 3 times the size of the Chipper. She made do, but the poor thing was pestered constantly by the Cowbird chick following her around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even for a slow day your post is wonderful as are your pictures. My favorite is the sweet song sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment here. I really appreciate all of your feedback. We had a great day, in spite of the absent birds.

    With any luck, I will have an update from this location, on Monday.

    ReplyDelete