Saturday, April 17, 2010

Westham Island Photo Walk

Yesterday, after my visit to the Elgin Heritage Park, I drove out to Westham Island and the George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary.

There is no better time to visit the Sanctuary than in Spring. In fact, I was surprised to see that the Geese had already laid their eggs and there were cute little Mallard Ducklings swimming in the ponds.

Soon, there will be a whole new generation of birds here for us to enjoy. Have I mentioned that I absolutely adore Spring?

Here are my photos. I hope you enjoy them...



A male Mallard greets me at the gate...


..along with two very nasty Canada Geese!


This one was nesting...


Soon there will be 4 more chicks for this mom to tend to...


While the mate keeps predators and competitors away...


Baby Mallards, out learning the ropes...




A male Lesser Scaup


A pair of Ring-necked Ducks


A pair of Wood Ducks


A Great Blue Heron, nesting, I think...


A beautiful pair of Tree Swallows stand guard outside their nest box...


A Marsh Wren sings nearby...


I thought the Snow Geese were gone. They remain...


A lovely Sandhill Crane, Preening...


..and giving me the 'evil eyeball'



Next week, I plan to return. Join me back here to see the baby pictures...

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures !
    Love baby mallard :) I have see some in my area yesterday - but unfortunately I could not approach them like you.
    Marsh Wren is great too !
    ... in fact all pics are great :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super post! Your pics are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sandhill crane and the baby mallards. Are they hatched already. I need to time/plan a baby trip to our riverwalk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, you have amazing photos, makes me gasp looking at them. I love the canada geese tongue hissing. Lovely post as always

    dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so very much for checking out my photo blog and leaving a comment here. I really appreciate it :)

    I hope to share more photos from this location very soon.

    ReplyDelete