Friday, April 9, 2010

Signs of Spring: Part Two

Today, I decided to stop by my local urban park to see how Spring was coming along. As mentioned in my previous post, I've decided to commemorate the early signs of Spring by photographing my discoveries ~ many of which are found at local parks in and around the Greater Vancouver area.

Today, this urban park [The Richmond Nature Park] was brimming with activity. Woodpeckers, Hummingbirds, Song Birds, and Squirrels were all busy living their lives on a beautiful Spring day.



A female Downy Woodpecker quietly knocks on a tree trunk...


...while a cute little American Robin digs for worms....


This Black-capped Chickadee was enjoying the light afternoon breeze...


...while this little chickadee noticed a predator nearby....


A Cooper's Hawk stalks the feeders at the park, from a nearby treetop....


...while this red-breasted Nuthatch enjoys some...nuts...


All of the song birds are aware of the predators' presence [including this Purple Finch]


...and this Purple Finch too...


The femal House Finch hopes she's not the 'chosen' one for the snack...


This Song Sparrow was silent, as he watched the Cooper's Hawk...


A little further away, lovely couple of Green-winged Teals were wading in the pond [a rare sight]


Male Green-winged Teal...


This lovely couple had company in the pond. Can you see it? A Red-Eared Slider Turtle...

Many of the blooms were on full display....while others were still thinking about it...





Next week, I plan to visit the Elgin Heritage Park in South Surrey. There is plenty of shoreline at Elgin so the players will be very different. Check back next week to see who showed up.

7 comments:

  1. Superb series ! It's a real spring explosion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Your photos and captions of the little birds and the hawk read like the set-up to a suspense story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful post and pictures Kim

    dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely photos. I love your bird shots. Always a little envious of those who get great bird shots. I'm not sure if it's my lens, my lack of patience, a combination or what but I can never get close enough. Nice work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, your Spring is a little more advanced than ours.

    Wonderful photos and post Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos as always!!! I love Spring!!

    ReplyDelete