Friday, April 16, 2010

Elgin Heritage Park: A Photo Album

Today, I was up and at 'em bright and early. My goal: To make it to Elgin Heritage Park before the tide pulled out. I was successful...if just by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin.

To follow is my photo record of the morning. First up....


A Canada Goose, reflecting...


A male Green-winged Teal, wading...


The wooden bridge that devides the Marsh into two...


On one side, a female Red-winged Blackbird waits for her mate. If she had a watch, she'd be lookin' at it.


On the other side, a male Red-winged Blackbird calls out to his mate...


Can she hear him?

I was struck by the sheer volume of Red-winged Blackbirds at the Marsh, most of which were mating...in broad daylight. I felt dirty.

Next, I followed the bridge to the far west shoreline, where I saw....


Greater Yellowlegs


A napping Dowitcher


Black-bellied Plovers coming in for a landing...


The Long-billed Dowitchers at play...


The Dowitchers pondering their next meal....


This one was napping...


..and woke...


with a big yawn!



I sat on a rock near the shore for close to an hour just watching these Dowitchers. My conclusion: they spend their days napping, eating, preening and napping...repeat.



Once I was convinced that I had seen all there was to see, I made my way to the parking lot. That's when I heard it. A sound I hadn't heard before. I followed it. It lead me to my first Life Bird of the day ~ A Yellow-rumped Warbler!

While at the park, I noticed a few more blooms were out. I love Spring!







Other birds observed:
~ Common Yellowthroat
~ Black-capped Chickadee
~ Golden-crowned Sparrow
~ Spotted Towhee
~ American Robin
~ American Goldfinch
~ House Finch
~ European Starling
~ Rufous Hummingbird [heard but not seen]
~ Bewick's Wren
~ Marsh Wren
~ Dunlin
~ Mallard
~ Northern Flicker
~ Northern Shoveler
~ American Wigeon
~ Pacific Loon
~ Common Merganser
~ Great Blue Heron
~ Bald Eagle
~ Ring-billed Gull
~ Herring Gull
~ Double-crested Cormorant

Next up, Westham Island and the George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary.

5 comments:

  1. Holy snapshots Kim!
    Absolutely Fantastic! ~Darcy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a nice series ! Sure you must have a nice day there observing all those nice birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful morning. Your photos are amazing. I love the reflections and detail. That wooden bridge is amazing. I wish I could walk down it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos as always Kimberly! Such a great assortment of birds!

    ReplyDelete