Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Sandwich in the Park

Today, I decided to take advantage of the sunshine and eat my lunch at a park near my workplace - The Richmond Nature Park.

I found myself thoroughly entertained by this Douglas Squirrel and the 'Squirrel-proof' bird feeder [The Eliminator]. The Eliminator uses Squirrel Buster™ technology to keep squirrels and nuisance birds off the feeder. It’s weight-activated, so as a squirrel or nuisance bird accesses the feeding area, the weight forces the shroud down and closes the seed ports. Squirrels and nuisance birds are foiled from eating at the feeder but not harmed in any way.

Umm, it appears that THIS squirrel has figured out a loop hole in the system...





Nom..nom...nom....













The squirrel had an accomplice...stationed below the 'Squirrel-proof' feeder. Plenty of seed there too...



This little Black-capped Chickadee was so incredibly patient while he waited for the squirrel to finish up! You know, for a little Chickadee, he sure had an intimidating stare.



This little Downy Woodpecker waited patiently on the feeder post. His pecking on the post sounded a little like the ticking of hands on a clock. Tick! Tock!



Finally, the Black-capped Chickadee and Downy Woodpecker gave up...and flew to other nearby feeders.

I'm sure that if this Chickadee had fists, he'd ball them up and shake them at that squirrel.







The Richmond Nature Park offers a wide variety of wild bird seed, suet, and nuts for many different species of birds. The Dark-eyed Juncos, Spotted Towhees, House Finches, American Goldfinches, and American Robins all dined with me while we listened to the beautiful Song Sparrows belt out a tune in nearby trees.

I could not think of a better way to spend a lunch hour. Can you?

2 comments:

  1. I love squirrels...such smart critters..
    nice photos!
    What a nice way to spend lunchtime!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous way to spend lunchtime. I could spend ALL my time like this :) Love the shot!!

    ReplyDelete