Monday, January 25, 2010

A Day at Blackie Spit

This past weekend, I came across an exciting post on the Birding in BC Community Forum. It was a post about Blackie Spit, one of my favorite places to birdwatch. It seemed the Marbled Godwit and Long-Billed Curlew were still in town [View the post HERE] I did see the pair last Fall [View that post HERE] but I wanted to see them in their Winter plumage. So, today, I drove out to Blackie Spit.

The first bird I found was this rather handsome Common Loon...



Next was these sleek Greater Yellowlegs...





The tide was in and there were many ducks wading in the shallow marsh - Northern Pintails, American Wigeons, and a few Mallards. The Wigeons were the most abundant of all the ducks...







I followed the trail to the far eastern edge. The pilings were decorated nicely with Double-crested Cormorants...



Many drying their wings in the cool Winter air...



I saw many Great Blue Herons along the way...





As the tide pulled out to the Bay, I noticed an odd shape among the ducks, meandering along the shoreline. It was the Long-billed Curlew I sought!



The Marbled Godwits were present [4 in all] but they were farther out and I was unable to get a good photo of them [there is always next time]. I did notice that the LB Curlews plumage was much darker now. He was a very distinguished looking fellow and a treat to observe.



I couldn't help but notice this stunner high up in a tree, watching me -- A Peregrine Falcon. Not a great photo but you get the idea. He wasn't in the least bit intimidated by me.



Since daylight was dwindling, I decided to head home. As I approached the gate, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Perched, silently, on a dead tree branch, was a Northern Harrier...waiting for dusk.





What would a trip to Blackie Spit be without a few shots of the Ring-billed Gulls? I loved how they were perched all in a neat, tidy row...and I could not resist them.



All of that wonderful fresh air was so relaxing. I could not think of a better way to start the week. Can you?

5 comments:

  1. I would say that was a SUPERB way to start the week. Your shots are Great!! I especially LOVE those yellow legs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..the LB Curlew is absolutely stunning in his winter plumage!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another vote for the yellowlegs.
    great post and fab day out!
    cheers,
    steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy smokes, you saw some great birds. Love vicariously seeing them through your great pics.

    dan

    ReplyDelete