Monday, November 9, 2009

My First Bird : The Black-Capped Chickadee



The very first bird I learned to identify, as a young child, was the Black-Capped Chickadee. By the time I was 7, I was luring these precious little song birds down from the treetops with a handful of seed and a song in my heart - "chick-a-dee-dee-dee". A great example of hand feeding Chickadees is shown in this video:



Description - This small bird can be identified by its black cap and bib and white cheeks. The back is grey with white underparts; the wings are edged with white.

Distribution - The black-capped chickadee ranges throughout all of Canada and the United States. They inhabit deciduous and mixed forests and open woodlands, often wintering in suburban areas.

Biology - The black-capped chickadee feeds on insects, seeds and berries. They prepare their nest with grass, fur, plant down, feathers and moss in a hole in a rotten tree stump, a natural cavity or a bird box. This bird is constantly active, either hopping, clinging or hanging from tree branches.

To follow are but a few of the photographs I have taken of these little cuties over the last few months. They were taken either in my own backyard, or at the George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary, on Westham Island, B.C.


The next time you hear a Chickadee call "chick-a-dee-dee-dee", take a few moments to answer.

9 comments:

  1. I love Chickadees! When we first bought our house, the chickadees were the first birds to welcome us to our new home, sitting on top of a pole and singing, as if to say "This would be a great place for you to hang a feeder for us." So we did, and they are now constant companions, also trusting us enough to nest in the yard every year. Great photos! @CB4wildlife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chickadees are cool. Unfortunately, I don't get them consistently in the Winter, but I always hope that a few would show up. Excellent post on a neat bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a Chickadee here (at least, not yet!). Thank you so much for the education and wonderful photos:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Kim..you know how much I love these little guys too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the closeup photos...and you just reminded me I need to fill my feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I love the little chickadees, they are so cheerful. I have them at the feeders all the time, so much so that I forget to take more pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing chickadees when i travel, mountain chickadees, the carolina chickadee etc..
    Great post, information and photos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos...Really enjoyed your blog...

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite photo in this lovely set is the one one the brown fence ... adorable. I have really come to love these little beauties during the past year. A very enjoyable experience to have one eat from your hand ... such a delicate sweet touch, such a delicate sweet bird. Really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete