Monday, June 1, 2009

A Big Day for Birding : Reifel Bird Sanctuary

It was a glorious day in Vancouver, British Columbia…just perfect for birding at the Reifel Bird Sanctuary on Westham Island. I’ve been to the Sanctuary many times but, I must say, after spending some time reading “tweets” on Twitter, reading Birding Blogs, and viewing Twitpics posted by serious birders from all over the world, I felt inspired. I was just itching to get out there and see what I could find.

First thing I did was acquire a new lens kit for my digital camera (a Canon Powershot G7). Second; replace my existing birding book with “real” bird field guides, to help me identify the birds I see.

Today, I was so much more aware of my surroundings and the beautiful sounds that filled the waters, trees, marshes, and meadows of the Sanctuary. I saw a gorgeous Wood Duck, Waxwings (which are, by the way, hard to photograph), many Barn Swallows, Red-Winged Blackbirds, Ducks with ducklings, (Canada) Geese with Goslings, Sandpipers, Blue Herons, Bald Eagles, and a young Sandhill Crane. Here are just a few of the images from the trip.

Westham Marsh:

Mallard Ducklings:

Wood Duck:

Canada Goose:

Mallard Duck:

Red-Winged Blackbird:

Gulls:

Caterpillar:

Barn Swallow:


Sandhill Crane

Cedar Waxwing:

No comments:

Post a Comment