Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Birding @ Campbell Valley Park

The morning started off quite wet but by the time I was ready to go, the clouds had parted and the sun was peaking through. Hopeful of a Western Tanager sighting, off I went to Campbell Valley Park ~ a short 20 minute drive from my home, in Cloverdale, British Columbia.

Campbell Valley Park is located between the Mighty Fraser River and the Canada/US border and offers many trails, including the ‘Little River Loop’ Trail (consisting of meadows and forest), the ‘Ravine’ Trail, and the ‘Shaggy Mane’ Trail (which forms the perimeter of the park). On this day, the trails were peppered with young horseback riders; visitors from the nearby Campbell Valley Equestrian Society, situated on the western-most side of the park.

Sadly, my pictures were somewhat disappointing as most of the birds remained at the tree tops. Once again, I’m reminded of the fact that I should invest in a decent scope. Although I heard the Western Tanager, I didn’t see him.



Bird Checklist:
- Western Meadowlarks
- Song Sparrows
- Spotted Towhees
- American Robins
- Bushtits
- Violet-Green Swallows
- Black-Capped Chickadees
- Red-Winged Blackbirds
- House Finches
- American Crows

There were a few songs I didn’t recognize but I failed to locate their creators amongst the trees.

Oddly, once I returned home, the backyard was bustling with life. A (male) red-winged blackbird was feeding his fledgling, while finches, sparrows and starlings fed from the tube feeders. There was a chickadee on the Instafeeder and a lovely Rufous Hummingbird zipping around the garden, from petunia to petunia.


No comments:

Post a Comment