Sunday, May 10, 2009

About Me

When I was little, my dad and I would sit on the front deck of our rancher in Surrey, B.C., Canada, and watch birds come and go from the feeders my dad strategically placed in the yard. Back then, the yard was lined with trees and clamatis covered trellises ~ providing lots of landing/launch pads for many different species of birds. Every season brought a different variety and, in winter, my dad would set-up the big bird house in the center of the yard, next to the wishing well. As the snowflakes flew, the birds found comfort in our yard.

Sadly, the neighborhood I grew up in and called home up until my 18th birthday, had changed drastically over the years. Gone are the trees, replaced by larger houses with paved front yards.

In July of 2007, my dad passed away from Cancer. To honor his memory, I added a feeder to my own backyard the following Spring. Days gave way to weeks and not a single bird came to the feeder. We tried many different varieties of seed. Still. Only Silence.

One day, I was home, sick with the flu. As I sat at the kitchen table, looking out at the naked feeder, I looked up to the sky and said, “Dad, if you’re up there….send me a bird”.

An hour or so later…I heard it. The loud chirp of a red-winged blackbird. The very first visitor to my single feeder.



Now that I have two children of my own (both boys, 4 & 7 years of age), I can pass on the tradition my dad and I shared throughout my childhood….birdwatching. We grew our own trees and clamatis covered trellises and added a few more feeders to accommodate even more birds.

In addition to birdwatching, we, as a family, enjoy many other things together. Whether it’s reading, hiking, or going to the movies…we try to do as much as possible….together.

I will share the most remarkable observations here.

No comments:

Post a Comment